PDP Exclusives by Rebecca

Thursday, April 2, 2009

PMV Trial

Today was Addisyn's first PMV (speaking valve) trial.. I didn't expect to do it this week, but we did. In my eyes, I think she did pretty well, however she is unable to exhale all of the air she inhales, so we have to drill a hole through the PMV to help her out. She has been doing well when she's not on her oxygen- actually better each day. I feel like I am doing something wrong when I take her off because I am so used to having it there. Her speech therapist said she is doing what they look for to start working with the PMV. She also said the PMV is one more step toward decannulation (trach out) as it helps her learn to breathe through her nose. I am not used to so many things going well for her because she has had such a rough time in the past.

No comments: